Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 21- I finally fell off my bike!

Well we finally left Meaux! We stopped on our way out of town and bought more food for breakfast or at that point lunch which included yummy coconut yogurt! After riding a bit we noticed a field full of a plant we didn’t recognize so I ran out to the field and pulled one from the ground! It was some kind of root plant and it tasted sweet. I still have no idea what it was but David’s guess was a rutabaga.

I’m not sure how it happened but we stopped for water, and when we started riding again, I immediately got my front wheel caught in the space between the trailer and its wheel. Of course I completely flipped over my handlebars and somehow scraped up my shin, knee, and shoulder. It hurt a little but mostly I just felt dumb. I don’t even remember how it happened, I must have been zoning out…

That evening we found somewhere to camp quite easily and early since we had been riding through some National Forests. I was happy we didn’t have to set up the tent in the dark and there was time for us to eat and hang out outside the tent. We had to carry the trailer and our bikes in two separate lengthy trips to the campsite so we were out of site. The first trip we took the trailer and I was in back so I couldn’t really see where I was walking so my legs got all scraped up from the prickly vines that were all over. My legs look terrible, I’ve never had so many bruises and scrapes. I’m not even sure where half of them come from. We set up the tent easily though and changed into pants since I at least was already getting attacked by mosquitoes. Huge mosquitoes! While eating dinner we heard some rustling in the woods and a fox eventually passed by us. In the night there were some other strange noises especially from some birds that sounded like death.

No comments:

Post a Comment